Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thankful For Family

Thanksgiving has come and gone... We celebrated with my parents, 3 brothers and their wives(..or 2 wives and one soon to be bride!).  All 13 of us piled into one house, and I thoroughly enjoyed our family time.  Love having a big family!  Game nights rock..even if it does get a little crazy at times and causes some anger to jump out of the competitive fire within....ahemmm MATTHEW!


our turkey trot

As a mom of 3, I'm now beginning to understand all that my parents put into raising us 4 children.  They gave up a LOT!  Thankful for a Dad who worked hard to support us and a Mom who chose to stay home and teach us.  umm Wow!  They KNEW us and knew that I in particular needed a mommy to teach me in the comfort of my own home for 4 years(3rd-6th grade).  God knew to give me a teacher for a mom!  We learned a lot and not just academic.  Learned to respect each other-to treat each other like we'd like to be treated-MANNERS-to play together and share-life isn't all about ME!-learned to SERVE and think of those less fortunate(I HATED Meals on Wheels but I'm so thankful to have those delivery trips etched in my memory)-to help around the house-etc.  And to think of the THOUSANDS of swim practices that mom had to drive, sit and wait at.  All with 3 little brothers to entertain.  ..didn't think of that back then.  You betcha I do now!  And you betcha I want to teach my little ones character over academics any day!

I guess I'm growing up a little.  Or so I like to think.  I still struggle with selfishness and pride and need to be reminded of the BIGGER picture sometimes.  I get caught up trying: to be perfect(reality check-never will be!), have the Pottery Barn house(3 kids-not going to happen!), scrapbook(umm no time to!), clean(who has time to clean?!), be crafty(Pinterest can stress me out!), think I need to plan every meal(not happening!), discipline perfectly(failed!).  And then GUILT enters.  and TIRED(mentally and physically). 

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  Matthew 11:28


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great post, Lauren. You are not alone, either. :) One day, we will have a clean house, and scrapbook albums to flip through but we won't have those little voices to talk to us or the sweet hugs and kisses. I have to remind myself all the time too. Don't compete against yourself! And, there is only one Judge, the Man upstairs.

Anonymous said...

You are a role model yourself on loving your children!

Allison D said...

Wow, look at that Odom family! Amazing! I feel so lucky to have known you for so long. YOu are such a great mommy...everything else can always wait!

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT blog !! Loved the picture of all of you. Your memories of your mom and dad are so great. They are certainly both dedicated to all of you. You kids are pretty special also.Your story really brought tears to my eyes.
Love all of you!
Nana