Children change you and the pace of life. I was the girl in high school who had very little free time and raced through the details of life to fit everything into my day. AM swim practice-school-PM swim practice-dinner-homework-crash for the night-repeat. So homework was fast and to the point. If I didn't understand a concept(thinking AP bio), I got frustrated and just wanted to know the answer..then..right then..no time to waste. And everything seemed to follow the pace of the big-solid-red-white-and black time clock on either end of the pool. Constant ticking-1 second-2 second-leave on the 30-go-faster-pick it up-set go-flip-made the interval-again-again-over and over. Life then revolved around the pace clock.
And in college, I was the girl who had a bike to cruise to classes my freshman year. Why try and figure out the crazy UGA bus schedule and risk ending up on the opposite side of campus. Tossed the bike the following year, but would jog/speed walk wherever I needed to go(distinctly remember thinking this while speeding somewhere on campus). AM swim practice-dining hall-class-lunch-class-class-study-PM practice-dining hall-study-crash for the night(way earlier than the typical college kid by the way). Why the rush you say. Like I said, everything in my life revolved around the pace clock. Its all timed. Leave on the 45, go!
Nursing school kept me busy the last two years of college. Gotta love the 645AM hospital clinicals. My swimming career ended during this time but I hopped onto UGAs ultimate frisbee team my sophomore year and enjoyed the camaraderie of team sports. No more pace clock wahoo! Lots of running, sprints, hills, plays, traveling(Boise, San Deigo, Boston, Wilmington, Spokane, etc.) Enjoyed winning nationals my junior year in Boston! Busy, but not quite as busy as before. I enjoyed this new feeling and enjoyed spending time with all the awesome nursing school girls. Truly some of the best days of my life. Shout out to the Nautilus in Ft Walton!
Then the real world begins. Work, date, church, work again, bills, work out, etc. Marry, buy a home, vacation and then kids come along. And in one regard, the pace of life picks up again. But for me...it sort of.. slowed down. Sit and feed..you can't make them eat faster-sit and play patty cake-read "Where's Spot" over and over and over, rock to sleep-sing sweet songs in their ear-give lots of kisses and smiles. The whole car seat thing..no more flying into and out of a store. No..stop, open both doors, unbuckle, lift, carry to store, back to car, rebuckle, snap. Slower, way slower. Play at the park...not run by the park but actually play at the park(totally new concept). Walk slow..wait..walk really really slow so they can feel independent and self confident with their new wobbly gait. Be still and watch Berenstain Bears..not rush off to do dishes, but just snuggle and watch tv together. Be still. Build forts-trains-draw.
No more white pace clocks though my driven, perfectionistic mind often tries to tell me otherwise. No more seconds ticking. Just be still my dear and enjoy these precious moments of today. Just be still my dear and know that I AM God. Just be still my dear. Be still.
2 months ago
8 comments:
Oh, Lauren...those days of racing the clock made you who are you, no doubt. Love this post. AMEN to it all!
what a post! you are so driven!
yes, Lauren, that sounds like your drive! one of the hardest parts of living the daily life of motherhood is slowing down and enjoying the moments even when there seems to be "so much to do".
Sounds so familiar! I struggle with this...hate to be still, hate to not be getting something (anything!) done at times, and then have to breathe. And realize that sitting on the floor watching TV with my girls is doing something. Something great.
Thanks for the reminder!
Hope all is well. I miss you!!!
Loved reading this Lauren! You are such a good writer!! Well thought out! I like your perspective. I'm going to try to act on this this weekend and SLOW DOWN!!! Like you said, shout out to the Nautilus!!! love, Megan***
I had a moment like this over Christmas when every gift was wrapped and every Christmas card sent out. I was laying in bed and it was like God said to me, "Be still and enjoy, you've done all you can do". Enjoy those babies!
Wow, great, great reminder, Lauren. Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm SO the same way. I was never as athletic as you, but just as driven. I still struggle sometimes with the to-do lists, part-time work, and even things like the computer - being "on" all the time and not stopping to enjoy the stillness (or not so still with a toddler and a baby!) and the cuddles. Good reminder!
great post!!
Post a Comment