Yesterday, we got up bright and early(the norm these days) and got in a quick run before heading to a BIG preemie reunion at the hospital. Over 550 former preemies and their families got together for food and fun. It was neat to see familiar faces and Davis loved all the entertainment...Dunk a doc(Davis enjoyed the water splashing on his face and I enjoyed seeing the docs go under), a real firetruck and firemen, a mini train, face painting and more. One of the former preemie dads wanted to dunk one of our docs for all the VAD taps he did on his son. Good way to get him back :)
Ran into the mother of a little girl that I'll never forget. A twin with DiGeorge syndrome who was a sweetheart. I'll never forget her growing up with us and smiling and eating her peaches. She had a hard time with anything going in here mouth and had terrible reflux so eating anything was a HUGE ordeal. One particular day, she was so happy eating her peaches! And mom was there to take lots of pictures! We had tried many times before but the peaches usually ended up on the floor...with no smiles involved. So this day was special!
She had a lot of issues and we were waiting for her big heart surgery. She finally got big enough for surgery, but got a terrible infection afterwards. So sad to see her hooked up to so many tubes and machines. Her little body just trying desperately to hang on. I was driving up the the lake when I got the call that she wasn't looking good. She passed away that day. At her funeral, there were pictures of her smiling and eating her peaches. I'll never forget that day.
Thought for the day...The little things in life are not always so little
1 week ago
2 comments:
And what a difference you make with the parents of these little ones. It's the little things you do that make a difference.
If you were a geriatric nurse and Beth was a geriatric specialist I would feel much better about my "declining" years.
Post a Comment