Monday, March 31, 2008

Fire Alarm

Church was crazy yesterday b/c Andy was comparing the damage the tongue can do to a raging forest fire. And then the fire alarm went off. I thought it was part of the message, but it wasn't. We all(thousands) had to evacuate, and they told us that the kids were being taken care of.

So we go outside and sure enough, we see one crib after another being wheeled out of the building and up into a grassy field. Then, we see preschoolers all holding ropes following the cribs. Craziness! Where is Davis?? Its freezing cold and I want Davis!

Each crib had a huge green blanket over it and a big blanket covered the babies inside. The volunteers couldn't hold every baby, so they placed them in the cribs and took off. So, I'm looking for an outfit that looks like Davis'. I spot his socks and kneel down to see him. All 3 babies in his crib are screaming and wondering what on earth is going on. I hold Davis' hand, touch his face, and tell him that his mommy and daddy are here with him. He recognizes my voice and calms down a little.

However, we can't get the babies for security reasons...So sad to see them all crying and not able to hold him. Tears welled up...Finally, they got the class roster, compared our badges to the baby's and let them go. Just hugged and kissed him! And everyone went home.

I have to say, the volunteers were very organized and it went very smoothly. Each class leader had a sign with the room number on it, so it was easy to find the children. And they were all out of the building in a flash! Don't know what caused the alarm to go off, but at least the church has a good evacuation plan.

Thought for the day...Like the bit in the mouth of a horse, the tongue controls the entire body. It can corrupt the whole person. Are you words negatively reeking destruction or positively building others up???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute, cute.

Anonymous said...

How scary! Remind me to tell you the story of Beth being in kindergarten at First Baptist when it burned down. What a nightmare! I'm very impressed with the fact that the nursery workers knew exactly what to do.