Friday, December 23, 2011

The Santa Conundrum

I'll preface by saying that up until a few minutes ago I had no idea what the word conundrum meant. Not going to lie-I stole it from this blog which is so right on!

*Conundrum: noun, anything that puzzles.

"Have the kids gone to see Santa?"-"What did you ask Santa for???"-Pics scattered on facebook of kids sitting on Santa's lap... 

I Don't DO Santa.

I didn't grow up sitting on Santa's lap and asking for stuff.  Sure we asked questions and put out milk and cookies on occasion but my parents never really talked about Santa.  All of our thoughts of the jolly bearded guy came from the outside.

I just think we have it all totally wrong.  Christmas isn't about me me me so why would I want my kids totally self absorbed and sitting on some random mans lap asking for stuff.  Just don't get it.  But there's a lot of stuff I just don't get so don't even get me started...

Instead shouldn't the focus be on Jesus Christ.  Our Savior.born in a manger.sent to save my life and yours.and give peace and joy on earth.  Shouldn't my focus be on giving and serving.  Humbleness.  So easy to forget the central message of Christmas.  I'm guilty here.  I don't want us to get caught up in the elf on the shelf-Santa-wish list frenzy.

Davis is talking about Santa coming.  School-friends-culture.  Its amazing how early they're influenced by the stuff of this world...We've done the reindeer food thing the past couple years, but we haven't really talked about Santa with him.  Even Haley is saying that Santa is coming to our house.

I don't want to keep ignoring the Santa talk, and I've pondered what to do.  Decided.  I'm going to tell the kids the story of the original St. Nicholas.  And how the Santa we think of today is a book character based on his life.  One is real and the other is pretend.  I want them to get it.  From the beginning.

And then just have a blast on Christmas!  Focusing on Jesus-gratitude-thankfulness-giving-serving-kindness-love-joy.  And of course opening a few gifts.

...So mom..the oranges in the stocking thing..did those represent the "gold" St Nicholas gave as a dowry?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this blog ! You really have the right idea about Christmas and it's true meaning. However, I know it is hard to overlook Santa while everyone is talking about him. At least you have a good choice to tell them about the real santa Love all of you, Nana

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! Focus on what is true. Go, Lauren!

Anonymous said...

Lauren, telling the Truth is always the right thing to do. I agree...the santa "stuff" is part of our self-absorbed culture of materialism.

You and Matt are wonderful parents!

Dad