Wednesday, October 28, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine


Okay, so like so many other people I'm curious about the safety of the new H1N1 Vaccine.  Being a healthcare professional, I like to be aware and up to date on the newest issues and research.  Its very intresting to me and I don't want to be a naive mom when it comes to the health of my family.  However, I'm fully aware that there's a WIDE array of info out there that'll scare the daylights out of you.  So, I try to read and speak to reliable sources.  Having said that, I can only read/research/talk to/dig into so much and at some point you have to trust the experts. 

My last post mentioned an article concerning the adjuvant squalene.  Several friends of mine were not getting the shot because of this concern.  However, I wanted to dig a little deeper so I spoke with several of the neonatologists.  3 MDs-all 3 got the H1N1 vaccine-all 3 vaccinating their young children.  Okay good to know.  Got on the CDC website and wanted to get the facts straight about the whole squalene ordeal.  According to info published on Oct 2nd, squalene has NOT been added to the current H1N1 vaccine: "There are no adjuvants (such as squalene) in either the 2009 H1N1 or seasonal flu shot used in the United States."  Okay, so what's the deal with the article I linked to last week...not sure..the article was written in July and apparently there was concern about it being added to the vaccine.  Glad the CDC decided against it! 

We are not seeing many H1N1 cases in our NICU, but several coworkers(who also work at the children's hospital) and a cousin(peds surgeon) have seen the horrific effects this virus has caused to otherwise healthy babies, children and adults.  We hear about it on the news, but they see it first hand.

Wanted to pass this along and please post any info that you may have.  I want the facts!

5 comments:

Me said...

I also looked at the CDC website and decided to get it for myself (being pregnant and all) and for Lils. There are a boat load of preggos in the ICU with H1N1 right now and I didn't want to be one of them!! I got mine about 2 weeks ago and Lily got her first one on Friday. I decided the flu scared me way more than the flu shot. Good luck!!! We miss you!!

Kate Parker said...

Thanks for the info, Lauren. So, are you and your kids getting it? I am still up in the air!

Jennifer said...

Justin and I talked about it again and still can't decide. We are thinking maybe Justin and I will get it and maybe Brice but still not sure about Anna. Let me know what you think or if you get it. I take Anna back to the ped on the 11th for an ear check so i may ask again.

Jenny said...

I saw firsthand some very sick babies in the NICU at LA Children's after a mom brought H1N1 into the unit. I also had to send flu swabs on some babies from my unit here in AK two nights ago, after a nurse came to work sick and ended up coming back positive for H1N1. Luckily, those babies are negative so far, but it could easily have been the other way around. I think as healthcare providers working with a fragile patient population, we have the responsibility to take measures to protect the babies, including immunizing ourselves to help prevent the spread of the virus.

I don't recall hearing any big stories about ACTUAL negative consequences to children receiving the vaccine (lots of what-ifs, but no reports of deaths from the vaccine). However, I HAVE read stories about children dying from the virus. What a shame to lose a child to a preventable disease.

Anonymous said...

From CDC website:

What studies have been done on the 2009 H1N1 flu shots and have any been done in pregnant women?

Studies to test the 2009 H1N1 flu shots in healthy children and adults and pregnant women are being done now. These studies are being conducted by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). More information can be found at http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/news/QA/vteuH1N1qa.htm.



They do not know what the side effects will be!!!!!