Friday, April 17, 2009

A trip to LH8

We're home from LH-also known as "the closet" at Northside hospital....2 bags of IV fluid, 3 shots of terb, 1 steroid injection, and 2 rounds of PO terb later! Spent last night and all day in a tiny room with no window hoping that my contractions would just STOP.

Started having contractions(not really painful but just annoying) last night around 6:30pm. I thought they might go away if I could just lie down and get some sleep. Nope...they just kept coming and at 1:30AM they were every 4-6min so I made the call to the OB. She sent us to Northside, they hooked me up to the monitor and there they were clear as day...contractions every 2-3minutes! The nurse checked me(again) and I was basically the same as that morning's exam: 1-2cm and 25% effaced.

Gave me a bunch of shots that didn't work for long and sent me down to perinatal for an ultrasound. Haley looked great and weighed approx 3lb 10oz. A good size and right on schedule. She was practicing her "breathing" and was very active with her little hands on her head. And my cervical length checked out perfectly which is GREAT! So we have something to work with. So we just needed to get my "twitchy-ultra sensitive-irritable" uterus to chill out! Talked to perinatal and my OB about how the "cervical check" seems to send me into full blown contractions. They both agreed that my uterus doesn't seem to tolerate the whole procedure very well, so we'll limit that.

Got 1 steroid injection to help mature Haley's lungs(get the 2nd shot in the am) and then tried PO terb. Wasn't really working, but FINALLY around 2:30PM the contractions went away. Yeah!!! Relieved not to be spending another night hooked up to the IV and monitors and learning how to work a terb pump. Instead, I have PO terb at home to take every 4-6hrs prn. Excellent!

So here I am on the couch so thankful NOT to be having contractions. Its wears on your body, and I look forward to a good night's rest....And so does Matt!

Thank everyone for your prayers!!!

6 comments:

Katherine Maxey said...

oh, man Lauren. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine being on bed rest with a toddler! I'll be praying for little Haley that she'll develop quickly and that your uterus will calm down!!! btw...davis is SOOO cute. I mean, I really wish I could meet him. I think you're going to love having a girl 2nd and watching davis take care of her. mine are best friends...really! take care!
kat

Julie Tiemann said...

Bless your heart... I can't believe this is happening to you! I'm so glad you understand all this and have such good friends at Northside taking care of you!!!

Crystal English said...

Please let us know what we can do for you. Whatever I can do to help is totally game with me. I know I don't have kids but I love them (obviously NICU nurse) so just let me know how I can help. Praying for you and little Haley. Glad she is looking so good -- (to Haley) keep growing and getting bigger and stronger.

Kate Parker said...

Geez, Lauren....so sorry to hear that! Scary. I hope you're feeling better.

Jennifer said...

Lauren, you tell that girl NO DRAMA! She needs to stay in there! I hope you are able to rest your mind and body this weekend. I want to bring you guys dinner so call me this week.

Granny T said...

Lauren, please make sure you rest and enjoy it while you can. I know it will be hard not being able to play outside with Davis, but just hang in there. Thinking of you, Matt and Davis. Praying that little Haley will wait a little longer.

Granny T