Thursday, January 8, 2009

The ABCs of infant CPR

Airway: Place infant on firm surface and check to see if infant is breathing(babies are abdominal breathers so their bellies rise and fall with each breath so look at the tummy!) If not breathing, open the airway by tilting head back and lifting chin slightly.
Breathing: Cover infant's mouth and nose forming a seal and give 2 breaths checking for chest rise.
Circulation: Check for a pulse at the brachial artery(located above the elbow on inside of arm). No pulse? Place 2 fingers just below an imaginary line between infants nipples and compress the chest 1/2in deep 30x

Repeat 30 compressions and 2 breaths! If you're alone please call 911 within 2 minutes of care otherwise call ASAP!

I hope you never need to use this, but I hope this helps.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The trick is remembering this when you are in the situation!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for posting this! I hope I don't have to use it but it's good to know just in case.